Thursday 29 October 2015

Caledonian Volunteers

How fitting the first Caledonia proper post is the backbone of every army, our precious cheerleaders! For now I have seven of these and I used to think it was more than enough but sometime I feel like I do need more chain rifles. They are pretty much in every army I play, even just one or two to fill the gaps for cheap Orders so they are the only unit so far I have done to the table-top standard (or at least first five of them). The rest of my army is almost ready for it too and should be posting those over the course of next week.

I had two inspirations for my Volunteers, Firefly and the Black Watch. I do love the army green but it is used so much on my other units I wanted them to be different. Then I remembered the Browncoats from Firefly series (and the film Serenity). They do seem little bit too dark overall but I think the colour combination works. At first I did consider giving them different tartans or at least having all tartans match across the army but I like the different styles, Black Watch seemed fitting to keep a link with the current real Scottish military.

You'll also notice one of the unfinished troopers has different colour scheme. I wanted one guy to stand out and try camouflage colours for whenever I play an Infiltrating Volunteer, which I some time do. I will keep the Black Watch tartan but otherwise switched colours around.

As for bases, this is how far I will take them for now. I have lots of models to do before Northern Open 3 so I want to keep it basic. The original idea was to make them highlands green on top of the brown but I am starting to like them so I might just add little but of grass and other small scatter. Will decide when the rest of my army is on the same level.


No comments:

Post a Comment